The Simple View of Reading Module
The desired outcome of skilled reading is understanding and learning from text. To plan for and provide appropriate reading instruction, educators need to identify the basic components that are associated with reading comprehension. This module clarifies the broad skills needed for reading comprehension and identifies effective practices that facilitate readers gaining meaning from text (est. completion time: 2.5 hours).
The Simple View of Reading
- Navigation and Learning Objectives
- What is the Simple View of Reading?
- The Simple View of Reading in the Classroom
- It’s Simple and Complex
- The Changing Emphasis
- Developing Word Recognition Skills
- Developing Language Comprehension Skills
- Implications for Educational Practice
- Summing It Up
This first course in the Ohio Literacy Library provides an overview of the elements of reading associated with reading proficiency.
Nearly every day, educators encounter students who struggle to read classroom materials and comprehend what they read. Reading difficulties are common in students at all grade levels, and if not remediated, are associated with poor academic performance and adverse post-secondary outcomes (Salinger, 2011). Raising low literacy achievement has been a long-term challenge. Despite diligent improvement efforts in schools and countless federal and state mandates aimed at improving literacy, over 60% of children in Ohio and the nation are still not reading proficiently (National Assessment of Educational Progress, 2019). Although educators have completed years of college coursework, many continue to feel at a loss for how to help students at all levels learn to read proficiently. Fortunately, we now know what to do to help students become skillful readers (Fletcher et al., 2019; Kilpatrick, 2015; Seidenberg, 2009).
Potentially, the Simple View of Reading can serve as a guide for determining what skilled readers do well and the weaknesses that lead to reading comprehension problems.
Although some of this information may differ from what you have previously learned about reading development, we urge you to keep an open mind. Science is ever-evolving, and with new brain scan imaging and research from multiple fields, we now know more than ever before about how individuals learn to read. Be at ease knowing that this module is grounded in reading science and aligned with Ohio’s Language and Literacy Vision described in Ohio’s Plan to Raise Literacy Achievement.
OCCRRA Approved Module
Do you teach young children birth to age five in Ohio? This module is approved by the Ohio Child Care Resource & Referral Association for continuing education credit. Follow the steps below to earn credit in OCCRRA!
Steps to Register for an OCCRRA Approved Training
- Go to the OCCRRA Registry to search for the training.
- Enter the name of the ALL Ohio module (e.g., The Simple View of Reading) in the search box at the top of the page under Professional Development Events.
- Click on the training to review training details and add the training to your cart.
- View cart and checkout. You must successfully check out to complete the registration process.
- Once you checkout, you will see a screen verifying your order has been successfully placed in OCCRRA.
- You will receive confirmation email for your training registration from OCCRRA.
- Go to The Simple View of Reading module in the ALL Ohio library and enroll in the course.
When you’ve successfully completed the module post-assessment, you will receive a certificate of completion and badge. Our ALL Ohio project Team verifies completion of module learning once per week. You will not receive credit in OCCRRA until our team has verified your completion.